This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy for details.
Looking for a simple, hearty recipe featuring whole foods and the superfood quinoa? Look no further. I have just the recipe for you!
Vegan burrito bowl with quinoa comes together in under 30 minutes plus it is versatile and highly nutritious. Loaded with protein packing black beans and fresh veggies along with amazing quinoa, you’ll turn to this recipe again and again for a savory meal.
Superfood Quinoa Benefits
Although technically a seed, quinoa is typically grown as a grain crop. Quinoa comes in red, black and white varieties. It is gluten free, high in protein and one of the few plant based foods that provides all nine essential amino acids that the body needs.
Additionally, quinoa is high in fiber, magnesium, vitamins B and E, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, copper, zinc and antioxidants.
The seed’s antioxidants help calm inflammation throughout the body and provide anti-cancer, anti-viral and anti-depressant properties. There are so many other health benefits from including quinoa in the diet that I wrote a post about it. Check it out HERE.
Vegan Burrito Bowl with Quinoa
The need to use an avocado before it passed its prime inspired this easy recipe. With basic pantry items, I created a filling bowl of goodness without the extra calories, meat and dairy products that a traditional burrito brings.
Although I didn’t prepare the vegan burrito bowl with quinoa in one pan…I used two…I think that’s a possibility, making clean up quicker and easier.
Vegan Burrito Bowl with Quinoa
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups cooked black beans may use 1 can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn may use half a can of corn
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, in juice. Do not drain.
- 2 tsp Mexican seasoning may use cumin or chili powder
- 3 cups shredded lettuce, for bowl
- 1 avocado, diced, for bowl
- Combine 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water in a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- White quinoa cooks, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and bell peppers, stir frying until veggies are almost tender. Add frozen corn, diced tomatoes in juice, black beans and seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is done.
- When quinoa is done, remove from heat, fluff with a fork and add to veggie mixture. Mix well. Season with sea salt and black pepper, if desired.
- In a bowl, spoon in burrito mixture, shredded lettuce and diced avocado. Add additional toppings, if desired.Makes approximately 6 servings. Store leftovers in covered container in fridge.
Tips for Creating Vegan Burrito Bowl with Quinoa
Pick up quinoa at your favorite grocery store or order HERE. I usually add a drizzle of olive oil to the quinoa pot, before reducing heat and simmering.
Add additional veggies to mixture, if desired. Summer squash, zucchini, broccoli or cauliflower are good choices. Don’t like mushrooms? Leave them out.
To create a one pot meal, add a half cup of vegetable broth and the uncooked quinoa after adding black beans, diced tomatoes with juice, corn and seasoning. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir well and serve.
I use Frontier Co-op Mexican Fiesta Seasoning with chilis, tomato and cumin. You can use cumin or chili seasoning instead. If you’d like extra heat, add crushed red pepper flakes before serving or a diced jalapeno when stir frying veggies.
In my bowl, I included shredded lettuce and diced avocado. Use salsa, guacamole, sliced green onions, vegan cheese, shredded cabbage, black olives or toppings of choice. Add small tortilla chips if you aren’t limiting sodium.
Enjoying My Burrito Bowl
I love the blend of flavors in this burrito bowl. With plenty of leftovers, it’s a “cook once, eat twice”…or more…recipe that freezes well, making a quick heat and serve meal after a busy day.
Quinoa is one of my favorite foods right now. I never tire of trying new recipes with it as my base. (You might like this Quinoa and Broccoli Bowl as well.)
I’m excited to share that I’m about to begin a new health adventure as I participate in the Blue Zones 4 Week Challenge. Watch for upcoming posts about the challenge. Since whole grains play a vital role in the Blue Zones meals, I’ll be eating quinoa several times a week.
I hope you enjoy this vegan burrito bowl with quinoa. Let me know in the comments if you try the recipe. And please share your favorite quinoa recipes with me!
Journey With Healthy Me is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate program provides a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, all at no extra cost to you.