This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy for details.
Is there anything that smells better than a spice cake baking in the oven? I love the rich scents of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. When Anthony William posted a recipe for vegan gluten free spice cake, I saved it to try. I so appreciate Anthony, author of the Medical Medium books. He continually shows me, and the world, that eating plant based isn’t dull or bland. I love the recipes that he offers.
This evening provided the opportunity to bake this incredibly delicious and healthy dessert.
This luscious cake is not only vegan and gluten free, it’s oil free as well. Plant based milk keeps it dairy free and applesauce replaces the eggs. And instead of refined sugar, the recipe uses coconut sugar.
The health benefits from vegan gluten free spice cake come from its spices, cinnamon especially. Cinnamon eases nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and indigestion. It helps to prevent the flu or shortens its duration if you catch it, lowers cholesterol and regulates blood sugar levels. Cinnamon soothes arthritis, increases circulation and contains anti-clotting compounds, making it beneficial in preventing strokes. And did you know that cinnamon boosts memory and cognitive functions? Just smelling the spice increases focus and alertness.
Vegan Gluten Free Spice Cake Recipe
I made this recipe exactly as Anthony specified. Check out the recipe here, on his website. For convenience, the recipe is listed below as well.
Vegan Gluten Free Spice Cake
- 2 cups gluten free oat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice or water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine oat flour, almond flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, baking powder and spices. Mix well and set aside.
- In separate bowl, combine plant based milk, maple syrup and orange juice or water. Mix well and add to dry ingredients, stirring to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 - 60 minutes, until toothpick or knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes then carefully remove from pan to cool completely.
- Drain cashews. Combine cashews, maple syrup and orange juice or water in blender. Blend on high, scrapping down sides as needed, until icing is smooth.
- Spread icing evenly over cake. Top with walnuts or pomegranate seeds, if desired. Serves 6.
Enjoying Vegan Gluten Free Spice Cake
Scent is important to me. And oh my, I enjoyed the aroma wafting from my kitchen as this cake baked. I love spice cake and I anticipated trying a slice with a cup of hot herbal tea.
I was not disappointed. This vegan gluten free spice cake is tender and so delicious with its blend of spices. I like the cashew cream icing as well. Another tasty option is to top the cake with non-dairy whipped topping. I added a couple of walnut halves to my slice of cake. Pomegranate seeds or berries are wonderful alternatives.
Preparing the spice cake tonight gave it a trial run for Sunday’s Super Bowl festivities. I’ll have healthy snacks and foods on hand as I cheer for the Kansas City Chiefs. This cake is perfect for any occasion and special enough for birthdays and events such as baby showers and afternoon teas.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Pick up Anthony’s books by clicking links below:
Journey With Healthy Me is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate program provides a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, all at no extra cost to you.