Chayote Mexican Skillet
This festive, easy to prepare recipe using chayote squash as a main ingredient.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 large chayote, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can non GMO corn, drained
- 1 small can chopped green chile peppers, mild or hot
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
In a large non stick skillet, saute onion, garlic and chayote in coconut oil, until onions are softened and chayote crisp tender.
Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with sea salt, if desired, and serve over cooked brown rice. Makes 4 - 6 servings.