This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy for details.
I dearly love my afternoon tea time. Therefore, I’m always excited to find and try a new recipe for a healthy treat that can accompany my hot tea. This easy Vegan Blueberry Banana recipe, adapted slightly from one by Anthony William, is perfect.
This beautiful loaf is free from gluten, refined sugar, eggs and diary products.
Vegan Blueberry Banana Bread
I used gluten free oat flour combined with arrowroot starch, to help hold the loaf together after it cooled. See this guide about other gluten free flours and starches.
Any unsweetened non-dairy milk is acceptable. I like the combo of almond and coconut. Leave off the walnuts if you are watching fats.
Vegan Blueberry Banana Bread
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
- chopped walnuts, for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mash bananas in a bowl with fork or potato masher. Add maple syrup, coconut sugar, vanilla extract and almond coconut milk. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine oat flour, arrowroot starch, sea salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add wet ingredients and stir gently, until ingredients form a batter. Add frozen blueberries and fold in very gently, stirring just until mixed in.
- Pour batter into loaf pan. Top with walnuts, if desired, and bake in oven for 40 minutes. Then turn off oven and leave blueberry banana bread in oven for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely, on a rack, before slicing. Serves 4.
Use a potato masher to easily mash up ripe bananas.
Ready to bake. I LOVE using parchment paper and line all baking pans and cookie sheets with it. Try this one from If You Care. This parchment baking paper is unbleached, compostable and totally chlorine free.
Isn’t that a gorgeous loaf? It smelled so wonderful as it cooled.
The two main ingredients in the Vegan Blueberry Banana Bread have important health benefits.
These berries contain powerful antioxidants. According to Liver Rescue there’s not just one pigment inside a wild blueberry, there are dozens of pigments. The wild blueberry is to the liver as mother’s milk is to a baby. The pigments in wild blueberries have the ability to penetrate deep into liver cells and cross cell walls and membranes inside the liver, spreading their blue everywhere. Wild blueberries also enhance the intestinal tract, feeding good bacteria there, which benefits the liver greatly.
Did you know that the fructose in bananas is the liver’s favorite source of food? It provides quick fuel to the liver and wakes up sleepy cells, increasing their ingenuity and work output. Bananas soothe the lining of the intestinal tract and also calm the nerves attached to the intestinal tract. This fruit is one of the most antibacterial, anti-yeast, antifungal foods available. It’s a great food to combine with other nutrient-rich foods or to take with supplements, because they improve the liver’s ability to absorb nutrients. (from Liver Rescue)
Perfect Afternoon Tea
This Vegan Blueberry Banana Bread is great as a breakfast bread or works well as a light after dinner dessert.
I paired a slice with a cup of hot spearmint tea, for the perfect afternoon break. The texture is light and the bread tastes slightly sweet, loaded with bananas and wild blueberries. I topped this first loaf with walnuts. Those can be omitted, if desired.
This recipe definitely goes onto my “make again…often” list. Is tomorrow too soon, to pop another loaf into the oven?
Journey With Healthy Me is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, all at no extra cost to you.