This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy for details.
I enjoy soup year around. However, I especially appreciate it during soup season…the winter months when temperatures drop and the days are short.
I’m also always looking for a new soup recipe. I tried this one recently, Lentil Potato Stew, and declared it a success. This simple recipe is adapted from one I saw online. With a few changes I made it vegan, gluten free and perfect for those on the Blue Zones lifestyle.
Making Lentil Potato Stew
This recipe uses readily available ingredients. You probably have everything needed in your pantry. And it comes together in minutes. Because lentils and potatoes cook quickly, you can have this delicious stew on the table in about 45 minutes.
Lentil Potato Stew
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large potatoes, diced
- 16 oz dry red lentils, washed and drained
- 1 cup kale, washed and stemmed May substitute baby spinach
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- Heat olive oil in large soup pot, over medium high heat. Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Saute until veggies are soft.
- Add lentils, potatoes, kale, turmeric and black pepper. Stir to coat lentils and potatoes in oil.
- Add tomatoes, broth and water. Bring to a boil, cover pot and reduce heat. Simmer 20 - 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Add salt and additional black pepper, if desired. Makes approximately 6 servings.
Lentil Potato Stew Tips
This stew is easily adaptable. Switch red lentil for brown. Remove the greens or substitute baby spinach for kale. Fresh greens or frozen work equally well.
Decrease or increase turmeric, as desired. Make your own vegetable broth or purchase ready to use. And you could add chopped squash if desired.
The Taste Test
Greg and I tried this recipe for dinner and found it full of flavor, satisfying and filling. I like using lentils for protein and pairing lentils with potatoes so I really enjoyed this stew. I also shared the stew with my mother and she liked it as well.
I’ll definitely serve this stew again. It’s easy to make, uses simple ingredients and I love that it’s perfect for my plant based, Blue Zones lifestyle.
Do you love soup during the winter months? Give this nourishing stew a try!
Other lentil recipes you might like:
Journey With Healthy Me is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate program provides a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, all at no extra cost to you.