This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy for details.
Most of us have prepared ramen noodles from a package. A staple food of college kids and those new to adulting, ramen noodles make a quick and inexpensive meal. My eleven year old granddaughter loves them!
And I’ve certainly eaten my share of ramen noodles. The thing is, those packaged chicken, beef or shrimp flavored noodles pack a lot of sodium into a serving, along with other not so wholesome ingredients such as MSG and artificial flavors.
Since embracing a plant based lifestyle, a healthier version of ramen noodles ranked high on my list of recipes to try. These easy vegan ramen noodles, adapted slightly from a recipe from The Vegan 8 are amazing!
What Do You Need to Make Vegan Ramen Noodles?
Let’s start with the basics. What ingredients do you need to make these delicious noodles?
This easy recipe requires only eight ingredients plus salt and pepper. It’s important to include miso, a soy bean based product. I found organic, non GMO mellow white miso in the refrigerator section at Natural Grocer’s.
Other essentials include minced ginger and garlic, dried parsley, vegetable broth, Bragg Liquid Aminos or low sodium soy sauce and noodles. I could not find gluten free ramen noodles so I substituted brown rice pad Thai noodles and they worked well. I’m ordering gluten free ramen noodles HERE.
Vegan Ramen Noodles
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp mellow white miso
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup chopped green onions, separated
- 9 ounces gluten free ramen or pad Thai noodles
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth to a large pot. Saute minced ginger and garlic in broth over medium heat. Bring just to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine another 1/2 cup vegetable broth with the miso. Whisk until smooth. Make sure miso is completely dissolved.
- Add remaining vegetable broth to soup pot along with miso/broth, parsley, Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce, 1/2 cup of the sliced green onions, salt and black pepper. Bring back to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add ramen noodles and cook for 3 minutes more, stirring frequently or add pad Thai brown rice noodles and cook for 4 - 5 minutes, or until noodles are soft.
- Remove from heat and let noodles sit for a couple of minutes. Serve up ramen noodles in a bowl, topped with sliced green onions and sesame seeds, if desired. Makes 4 - 6 servings.
Serving Up Vegan Ramen Noodles
This recipe came together so quickly! I loved the aroma wafting through the kitchen as the noodles simmered.
Here are my tips:
- I used minced ginger and minced garlic from a jar. It’s easier than mincing them myself however mince your own if desired.
- Make your own yummy vegetable broth. It’s a great way to use leftover vegetable scraps. Or use low sodium organic veggie broth from the store.
- I buy dried parsley in a small bag at Natural Grocer’s. You can find it in the spice section as well.
- Bragg Liquid Aminos is available at stores like Natural Grocer’s or in most regular supermarkets.
- To stay gluten free, I used brown rice pad Thai noodles. Any gluten free noodle could be used.
And….how did these freshly prepared vegan ramen noodles taste?
They were SO GOOD! Less sodium than packaged is a plus, especially when combined with such a delicious flavor. The ginger gives the noodles a bit of heat. Reduce amount to one tablespoon if you desire less zing. I found the spice level perfect.
I enjoyed these noodles so much that I’ll make them again soon…like this week.
Let me know if you make these yummy noodles and what you think!
Vegan Ramen Noodles Ingredients from Amazon
Journey With Healthy Me is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate program provides a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, all at no extra cost to you.