One of the things I’m enjoying, on this plant based journey, is adapting recipes. Stuffed peppers popped into my mind this week. A quick check of my fridge and cupboards revealed I had all the necessary ingredients on hand to create a new healthier version of this old favorite.
My old recipe contained ground beef. My desire to create a veggies and brown rice version seemed doable.
I’ve played around enough with cooking the past couple of years, to gain confidence in pulling together an impromptu recipe.
Here is the result, Vegan Stuffed Peppers.
Vegan Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Vegan Stuffed Peppers
- 3 green bell peppers
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 can corn non GMO, drained
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Wash green peppers, cut in half and remove seeds. Place in baking pan, cut side up.
- Saute onion and garlic in 1 tbsp coconut oil, until veggies are translucent.
- Add diced tomatoes and cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and sea salt, stirring to combine. Add black beans and corn, combining well and heating through.
- Add brown rice and combine well. Pour mixture over green bell pepper halves, filling peppers. Mound remaining mixture around peppers. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Remove covering and bake another 5 minutes. 6 servings.
This is one of those simple recipes that can be adapted according to tastes and ingredients on hand. Any color of pepper is suitable. I happened to have green bell peppers in the fridge.
Swap out the black beans for kidney beans or another vegetable. The same with the corn. I only use non GMO corn. Del Monte carries this product. Check the label to make sure it says “non GMO”. Quinoa can replace the brown rice. During the summer, when the garden is producing, fresh tomatoes would taste great, instead of canned. And fresh peppers from the garden….amazing!
Sampling my vegan stuffed peppers, I declared them excellent! I didn’t miss the ground beef at all. These were tasty and filling and something I will prepare again!
Looking for more meatless meal ideas? Check out these:
Visit my Amazon Storefront for herbal teas, kitchen appliances and gadgets, and books to help your healing journey.
Journey With Healthy Me is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate program is designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, all at no extra cost to you.